[Savannah-hackers] Re: savannah account

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: savannah account
Date: 27 Aug 2002 23:50:54 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> said:

> address@hidden (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
>
>      Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>      > As Savannah USER you DO NOT have a shell account. No USER have such an
>      > account. The reason is simple, you DO NOT NEED such an account.
>      > If you really think you NEED such an account, deal with address@hidden
>
>    I *did* and *do* have such an account.
>
> probably yeupou just needs to keep in mind there are always exceptions, to
> separate the ideal from the real, and to consider other people's needs as
> simply unknowable a priori.  then he can be more directly helpful.  you can
> help him by cutting slack and giving the "warning: my setup predates the new
> cruft" clue in various ways (be creative).  i can help by shutting up, which i
> will do now.

Recently, after the fencepost compromission, many accounts permiting
full access to subversions that seemed useless were restricted. While
someone wants to use savannah, he normally does not need to have a
complete access to subversions. Giving to everyone shell account is
creating security holes.

Anyway, if someone need access to this computer for a reason or
another, he just have to say why. It doesn't seem weirdy, does it?

This is not really an exception that someone have a particular account
and particular rights. But while someone have problems using savannah,
if he thinks he have a special access but havent any informations
about it, we can think that he does not really requires this special
access and so it is really possible that he does not anymore have this
special access.

Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<