Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: savannah using non-free software?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: savannah using non-free software?
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:38:36 +0200

Mathieu Roy writes:
 > "Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> said:
 >
 > > On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 02:13:23PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
 > > > I was surprised to see the ability to use Google for
 > > > searches.  I could be wrong but isn't the google
 > > > software non-free?
 > > Where did you see that? In a Savannah page? please provide a URL.
 >
 > Jaime, you maybe not noticed it, but a checkbox google was available
 > along with the checkbox "Software", "People" etc .. :)

        Google is proprietary software. Is it installed on the GNU
machines ?  No. Are we refering to proprietary software by suggesting
people to use the Google web site ? This is questionable. To be safe
I'd say that we shouldn't refer to online services based on non free
software. It's not as touchy as if we indeed installed google on the
GNU machines (that would be clearly unacceptable). Nowadays the
disctinction between an online service and a software installed on your
machine becomes thiner and thiner.

        Could we refer to a Free Software based search engine ? Even
if less powerfull, that would be ethically better.

        Cheers,