Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of OpenStreet - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Paul Check
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of OpenStreet - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:38:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Rudy:  Thanks for looking at the project.

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
>
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 09:28:45PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > A package was submitted to savannah.nongnu.org
> > This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
> >
> > Paul Check <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> > License: gpl
> > Other License:
> > Package: OpenStreet
> > System name: openstreet
> > Type: non-GNU
>
> Our aim is to host free software projects, and we want
> to encourage the public to think of them as free software
> projects.  A project name that says "open" is likely to
> encourage people to think of the project as "open source"
> instead of "free software".
>
> We would be glad if you accept to use "free" instead of
> "open" in your project name.

I saw this when I registered the project.  As I mention on the
home page (http://openstreet.org) we are absolutely committed
to the GPL and free software.  My domain name is openstreet and
that's also my company name.   While the software is "free", its
application will be to create an open and trustworthy environment
for finance, precisely because it is also open source.  I'd
really like to stay with your hosting site, and hoping that
this won't be an issue.

> Could you create a tarball with the code as it
> now exists and make it available to a temporary URL
> (and add this url to your description while submitting
> the project)?

As I mentioned above, the project hasn't started yet.
In fact, I was hoping to start this weekend with some basic
code.

> We want to help you fix potential legal issues.
> For example, in order to release your project under
> the GPL you should write copyright notices and copying
> permission statements at the beginning of every source code
> file, following the advice of
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Yes, I saw this and will follow it, thanks.

> Could you resubmit your project once it's done?
> You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
> the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
> you received  at submission

Well, the project will probably never be "done", since
quantitative finance is an evolving science.  However,
I'll try writing a little bit of code this weekend so
that you can verify the license.

I'll need to know if the name can remain "openstreet"
as explained above.  Please let me know this asap.
When I got the warning during registration I didn't know
how to comment, hopefully my explanation above is good
enough.  Please let me know asap as I'd like to get the
project hosted asap and get started.

Cheers,
Paul Check