[Savannah-hackers] Re: Fwd: GNU Visualization of Complier Graphs (#3151)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Fwd: GNU Visualization of Complier Graphs (#3151)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:57:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Your plans all sound good, except that before we start we have to
> make
> sure that the legal situation with the VCG code that we got is clear.

Thank you very much. I had figured that you had so many mails that you
might not reply immediately.

Does this mean the name is ok? can I ask the savannah people with your
permission to create the project space? Also get a gnu address?
address@hidden or savannah.gnu.org?

pretty please :)

I am now applying the patches to the debian main distro of vcg 1.3.
Funny that is was not retracted, but good so.

I will wait untill the legal situ. is figured out,
and you give a go-ahead before making any release of the
patched source code from sander.

Untill then I will excercize the rights of any recepient of the vcg
to build and package it, to apply patches and whatnot.

I will reverse engineer the algorithm section
and demonstrate the introspectors ability to deal with the situation.
by using the source code and an input, we can and display the sections
of the uglified code in the vcg itself.

The one patch from sander I will apply and test in a small group,
5-6 interested insiders who use and maintain the app in the free
software community.

I have contacted the gcc mailling list, even those who opposed me the
most, (Joe Buck and Robert Dewar ) have reacted positivly to the vcg
issue. I am also taking over some bug requests. I have stated that the
long terms goal the introspector will link the gcc statically and will
not interface via files to external systems. Only the scaffolding tools
we are building for debugging need the xml dumps directly.

This coupled with savannah, will take software development into the
future. by recuiting students, and corporate people who use it in
projects we will gain a user base.

I am thinking about a possible business plan :
What do you think?
 to try and make money by selling cds full of the introspecter source
code, the patched gcc and the GNOME dia uml diagramming tool plus the
vcg graph layout toolkit as a free software Reverse Engineering
toolkit. A printed manual and a CD for $50 Training starts at $500 a
day.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont