Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Drip - savannah.gnu.org

From: Jarl van Katwijk
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Drip - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 16:47:12 +0100

Don't you have to install proprietary software such as libdivxencore,
libdixdecore or Windows codecs to use avifile + divx?

According to Debian's avifile desscription: "Separate local instalation of
Windows DLL codecs might be needed for the optimal usage of this player."

Please comment on this. We do not want to host software that will run better
on proprietary systems than in free systems.
Hi,

currently Drip uses libavifile for encoding. This lib is GNU, and so are most of the codecs it utilises. I personnaly favor the (OSS) Xvid codec, but people can use win32 codecs when they feel like doing so.

But if there's todo one codec that's being harnessed by Drip the most that's definitly Xvid.

Jarl