[Savannah-hackers] submission of Snort Intrusion Detection System - sav

From: cmg
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Snort Intrusion Detection System - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:41:53 -0500

Chris Green <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Snort Intrusion Detection System
System name: snort
Type: non-GNU

Snort is an open source network intrusion detection system, capable of
performing real-time traffic analysis and packet logging on IP networks. It can
perform protocol analysis, content searching/matching and can be used to detect
a variety of attacks and probes, such as buffer overflows, stealth port scans,
CGI attacks, SMB probes, OS fingerprinting attempts, and much more.

Snort uses a flexible rules language to describe traffic that it should collect
or pass, as well as a detection engine that utilizes a modular plugin
architecture. Snort has a real-time alerting capability as well, incorporating
alerting mechanisms for syslog, a user specified file, a UNIX socket, or
WinPopup messages to Windows clients using Samba\'s smbclient.

Snort has three primary uses. It can be used as a straight packet sniffer like
tcpdump(1), a packet logger (useful for network traffic debugging, etc), or as
a full blown network intrusion detection system.

http://www.snort.org/dl/snort-2.0.0rc1.tar.gz

Other Software Required:
libpcap is the only real dependency, everything else is optional.

Other Comments:
What we\'d love to be able to do is have savannah be a CVS mirror of our future
internal server so that we can implement a patch policy.

My work number is 410-423-1941 (Chris Green) if you have any questions.