[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Snort Intrusion Detection System -

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Snort Intrusion Detection System - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 28 Mar 2003 12:54:15 +0100

"Jaime E . Villate" <address@hidden> said:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:53:18PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > Hi Richard, Loic and Jaime,
> >
> > Chris Green submitted a project on Savannah, but apparently only to get
> > Savannah as a CVS mirror (see below).
> >
> > It's, as far I remember, the first time we have this kind of request.
> >
> > Personally, I think that Savannah is development platform and
> > shouldn't be considered as a cheap mirror.
> > Loic, Jaime, do you agree or, a contrario, think that the Savannah
> > mission should include mirroring?
>
> Hi,
> They do not want to use Savannah simply as a mirror. They have requested to
> have the CVS server outside of Savannah but I assume that other services such
> as bug tracking, support manager, news system, mailing lists and so on will be
> actively used.

No, apparently only the mailing-list. They want to have their own
bugzilla on their box etc...

> I think we should accept that projects use a CVS server different
> from subversions. This would imply some changes in our current
> interface but I think those changes will be worth considering it; in
> the future we decide to split subversions CVS server, allowing each
> project to choose the server that has a better connectivity for
> them.

While I mainly agree with you Jaime, I think we have lot of work to do
to use the current interface, which is IMHO the priority. It's nice to
provide a easy way to add links to some other place where they may use
others services. But the most important is to provide a good
service. It does not help us to work on permitting users to add a link
to another bug tracker than the savannah bug tracker while indeed we
have work to do on the savannah bug tracker (which is the reason why
users wants to use another bug tracker).

Also, we previously agree that it would be good to permit users to
completely configure their links (for instance, for each entry, they
would be able to use the default setting or redefine it). But it
remains on the "to do" list :)

In the meantime, users can easily glue the services they use via their
homepage.

Finally, about snort:
        - Loic would agree for the CVS mirroring
        - Jaime would agree for the project but not the mirroring.

I think that we should only agree for CVS mirroring for GNU
package. It's an extra-work we have to accept for the GNU Project,
while it's not really justified for others projects. Also, we cannot
predict how many non-GNU project may have this idea, and if we accept
for one of them, we have no valid reason to refuse to others.

But as I said previously, decision is your.

        - I would agree for the project but not the mirroring. And
          also only if they agree to address@hidden@GNU/Linux@

Mathieu Roy