[Savannah-hackers] submission of MirrorPool - savannah.nongnu.org

From: somian
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of MirrorPool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 19:24:06 -0400

Soren Andersen <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: perl
Other License:
Package: MirrorPool
System name: mirrorpool
Type: non-GNU

mirrorpool - discover which CPAN mirrors are responding most quickly, and
optionally update the CPAN.pm (My)Config.pm config file with the URIs of those
mirror hosts.

This program (script) is written in Perl and issues system calls to one or two
external programs: fping(1) (always) and possibly wget(1). The intention of the
author is for this program to bring piece of mind to new users of CPAN.pm (the
Comprehensive Perl Archive Network access module), who, when confronted with
the choice of CPAN mirror hosts, are at a loss to know which they ought to
select. It could also be useful to  sysadmins wishing to maintain the config
file for CPAN.pm up-to-date with the fastest-responding hosts. In the future it
may be easily adapted to supporting the new CPANPLUS Perl tool designed to
replace CPAN.pm in future Perl releases.

More extensive discussion of the rationale and disclaimers for this program can
be found in the Perl source code file\'s own extensive POD documentation. The
source code can be viewed at the PerlMonks website on the author\'s personal
ScratchPad, at present; the URL is:

  http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=108949&user=Intrepid

Other Software Required:
fping -- GPL
wget  -- GPL

Other Comments:
The source code file at the URL given in the application has top lines
indicating that the program is to be invoked (is named) \"cpan-mirrors-mea\".
This was an awful name and it is now henceforth changed to \"mirrorpool\" ;-).
TTBOMK, this name does not conflict with other GNU or non-GNU Savannah-hosted
projects and won\'t engender confusion (although it does seem to be the title
of someone\'s music album). Well, we do our best and then keep our fingers
crossed ... ;-).