Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of XOOPS Module Development Effort - s

From: Matthew Bogosian
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of XOOPS Module Development Effort - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:04:03 -0700 (PDT)

That's okay...this is getting way too hard. I've submitted the project
twice already.

First, it was my fault, because I wasn't clear that our project had no
sources of its own. Rudy wrote me to inquire about this. I e-mailed him
back and resubmitted the project indicating that we did not have any
sources and it was a new project.

Then, I recieved an e-mail from Jaime V. who said that XOOPS (the
project for which we are independently writing plugins) used GIFs and
there was a problem with the COPYING file and that we would have to fix
these if we wanted our project submitted. If I understand correctly,
that would be like saying that one couldn't host *mod_perl* on Savannah
if *Apache* used GIFs.

I tried to e-mail Jaime back to explain further, but his e-mail bounced
due to an unresolvable forwarding address.

Since I couldn't get in touch with Jaime, I wrote Rudy back because he
was my last point of contact and he was already (presumably) familiar
with the project. He effectly told us that wasn't his job this week. If
that is the case (i.e., that Savannah volunteers rotate weekly), why
does anyone respond with his/her personal e-mail address in the
From:/Reply-to: headers? Why is it not always
<address@hidden>?

I'm not trying to complain, and I understand Free Software is by its
nature a volunteer effort. However, that makes it all the more critical
that we work together in a friendly and constructive manner. It wouldn't
take much for Rudy to forward my request onto savannah-hackers and CC
me. Especially since he was our initial and last known good point of
contact.

We'll just use SourceForge instead. We want to do the Right Thing for
Free Software, but the barrier to entry on Savannah is just too high. We
need to start work, and there are too many completely irrelevant hoops
through which we've been made to repeatedly jump, especially for a new
project without any existing code. Maybe we can migrate in the future
when things are a little less clunky. I hope we can work together in the
future.

Thanks anyway for your time.

--Matt