[Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Go Server - savannah.nongnu.org

From: physics_seeker
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Go Server - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:58:52 -0400

David Rysdam <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Free Go Server
System name: fgs
Type: non-GNU

We would like to create a Free Go Server.  There are three main servers out
there now.  One, KGS (kgs.kiseido.com), has a proprietary server and client.
Another, IGS (http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/), has a proprietary server
with many Free clients.  IGS also reportedly has many other freedom problems,
such as users being banned for talking about verboten topics.  The last, NNGS,
is open on both the client and server, but suffers from some problems.  In
particular, not many clients that claim to support it support it well and it
also doesn't have some of the more advanced features that have drawn people to
KGS (chatrooms, pictures, online game history, etc).

Our plan is to fork the NNGS code, then build our own ideas on top of it.
Because some of these ideas would break those few NNGS clients that work,
submitting these as modifications to the NNGS people isn't feasible.  NNGS is
GPL and the code is available at http://nngs.cosmic.org/src/.

Other Software Required:
None.

Other Comments: