[Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Go Server - savannah.nongnu.org

From: physics_seeker
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Go Server - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:42:28 -0400

David Rysdam <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Free Go Server
System name: fgs
Type: non-GNU

We would like to create a Free Go Server.  There are three main servers
out there now.  One, KGS (kgs.kiseido.com), has a proprietary server
and client.  Another, IGS (http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/), has a
proprietary server with many Free clients.  IGS also reportedly has many
other freedom problems, such as users being banned for talking about
verboten topics.  The last, NNGS, is Free on both the (some) client(s) and
server, but suffers from some problems.  In particular, not many clients that
claim to support it support it well and it also doesn't have some of the more
advanced features that have drawn people to KGS (chatrooms, pictures, online
game history, etc).

Our plan is to fork the NNGS code, then build our own ideas on top of
it.  Because some of these ideas would break those few NNGS clients that
work, submitting these as modifications to the NNGS people isn't
feasible.  NNGS is GPL and the code is available at
http://nngs.cosmic.org/src/.  All required copyright headers, COPYING files,
etc are already in the code and those would be carried forward and added to new
code.  The entire project is intended to be Free.

Other Software Required:
This dependency is only required if one wishes to track user ratings/rankings.
"mlrate" is also Free and is available at the same URL as the NNGS code.

Other Comments:
"Rudy Gevaert" reviewed a previous submission of this project but rejected it
for some changes, which weren't clear to me.  I hope this has been fixed.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/