Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of JSP-Tutorial - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of JSP-Tutorial - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:31:00 -0400

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:20:04AM +0200, Wolfram Rittmeyer wrote:
> Hi Rudy,
>
> before resubmitting the project I have some questions - and answers to
> your mail.
>
> First of all: I can provide you a link to the Site, but not to the
> texts. They are not yet available (and most probably will be stored in a
> DataBase [PostgreSQL - if that's relevant] as soon as the engine is
> working).

> But as you can see on the site, each page has a remark at the bottom,
> that all texts are under the FDL and contain a link to the German
> translation of this page. The template for the site (and therefore every
> single page) contains also a statement regarding the texts and contains
> a link to the original license [www.gnu.org/license/fdl.html] and
> mentions furthermore some of the non-gnu projects used.
>
> I'm not sure how to publish the texts other than by our site (on the
> other hand - they are freely avalable that way so I do not consider it
> to be a problem). Any contributor to this project can publish, edit and
> change texts via web-based forms. Savannah is more though of as a forum
> for contributors and as the place relevant for the development of the
> engine. The sources of the engine though will be available on savannah -
> therefore I consider a split in two projects like jsptutorial-engine and
> jsptutorial-texts as not desirable.

I suggest you register two projects. And use CVS for both:  store the
code for the engine in the CVS and store the texts in CVS.

Contributors can then use CVS to update and change the texts and
source.

Splitting up has also the advantage that you can give contributors
access to the texts but not to the engine.

I forgot what the engine is for?  Are you trying to build a CVS like
system in PHP?

Also note that we don't offer PHP and database support.

To distribute the texts you have to make sure that the source of the
texts has the full FDL as a appendix included.  Also read the
following as it is copy pasted from the FDL:

ADDENDUM: How to use this License for your documents

To use this License in a document you have written, include a copy of
the License in the document and put the following copyright and
license notices just after the title page:

    Copyright (c)  YEAR  YOUR NAME.
    Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
    document
    under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2
    or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
    with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no
    Back-Cover Texts.
    A copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU
    Free Documentation License".

If you have Invariant Sections, Front-Cover Texts and Back-Cover
Texts,
replace the "with...Texts." line with this:

    with the Invariant Sections being LIST THEIR TITLES, with the
    Front-Cover Texts being LIST, and with the Back-Cover Texts being
    LIST.

If you have Invariant Sections without Cover Texts, or some other
combination of the three, merge those two alternatives to suit the
situation.

You could but the previous at the bottom of every html page.

> The JSP-Tutorial can be found at http://www.jsptutorial.org and
> http://www.jsptutorial.de (just a forwarding-domain). Everything is in
> German and it mostly consists up to now of a page calling for contributions.
>
> As a FSF-supporter (as of 2002) I completely agree with the FSFs
> statements about GNU/Linux. Normally I also refer to it that way. From
> time to time and even more so in spoken conversations I tend to speak of
> just "Linux". Linux itself is just a kernel and absolutely useless
> without the tools of the GNU-movement. I know that. Nevertheless
> usage-patterns are not so easily changed. I'm sorry. I will verify that
> all references to "Linux" are changed so that the vast amount of
> GNU-software and the spirit of the free software movement is correctly
> represented.

Ok thank you.  It is indeed difficult to speak about GNU/Linux if most
of the people talk about "Linux" when they mean the operating system,
but doing some effort will help the FSF a lot.

Rudy

Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms
Savannah hacker             http://savannah.gnu.org