sftp to stop working again? (Re: [Savannah-hackers] sftp now working on

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: sftp to stop working again? (Re: [Savannah-hackers] sftp now working on Savannah: not really)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:54:44 -0700

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:12:26AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
  # Uncomment the lien bellow when the chroot jail actually works
  #/usr/local/bin/savannah-sftp
  # This line below works for now, but is not chrooted.
  /usr/lib/sftp-server

In fact, it does not really fixed the sftp problem. We know how to make it works
not chrooted but we want it to be chrooted.

Because of the way the symlinking is done on the server, it CANNOT run
chrooted right now.  You need to modify the directory structure a bit
before this is even possible.

How did you modified the login shell?
- it must be done via CVS
- please remove unchrooted access

Jaime Villate said he checked the modification in via CVS.

Please let me know when you are available to come on IRC and discuss the
proper strategy for restoring chroot to sftp, without stopping people
from using arch in the meantime.

Although I have been authorized to modify the directory structure as
necessary, I don't wish to do it without an experienced Savannah admin
present to tell me if a given change might break anything.

I have one question; are the upload areas accessable from the web, so
people can download things we upload?  Can we set up an anonymous
account that has no password, that can do downloads from the upload
directory?  If the upload directory is accessable from the web, we
could
do without the anonymous account.

The upload directory is available via http, per project.
Why do you want and sftp account?

We need sftp so we can use "arch" as a revision control system for our
projects.  Several projects have been waiting for sftp access so they
can start their Free Software projects on Savannah.

How do I access my projects /upload/ directory via http?

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2