Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of PHP Web Application Framework - sav

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of PHP Web Application Framework - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:30:48 -0400

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:48:13AM -0700, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> Hi Rudy,
>
> Thank you for your comments. I will try to correct
> the mistakes and then resubmit the project. However,
> I would like to wait until I finish release 1.0
> (which is basically the same as release 0.9, but will
> have some improvments in comments and documentation).

Ok, no problem.

> > Before releasing your project under the GPL, please
> > place
> > copyright notices and permission to copy statements
> > at the beginning
> > of every file of source code.
>
> This is something I don't fully understand.
> Why is it necessary to place them at the beginning
> of _every_ file? I couldn't find an answer to this
> question in the FAQ too.

There is a simple answer to that question.  If a file hasn't got them
one could say that that file isn't under the GPL.

Imagina that the files who have the license in them get lost.  And
somebody else gets the other files without the license and copyright
notices and permission to copy statements.  Then there is no way for
that person to know that the code is licensed under the GPL and thus
copylefted.

> > In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a
> > copy of the plain
> > text version of the GPL, available from
> > (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file
> > named "COPYING".
>
> I have already done this. It is in the folder
> 'phpwebapp-0.9/web_app/', however I will try to
> make it more visible by placing it directly under
> the folder 'phpwebapp-1.0'.

Ok thankyou.

Rudy

Web page                    http://www.webworm.org