Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of PHP Web Application Framework - sav

From: Dashamir Hoxha
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of PHP Web Application Framework - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:14:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Sorry for replying late, but I have been disconnected
from internet (it happens sometimes in life).

--- Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:26:57AM -0400,
> address@hidden wrote:
> > Other Software Required:
> > phpWebApp depends on PHP, of course. Since the
> license of PHP is not
> > compatible with GNU GPL (I have only recently
> discovered this) does
> > this make a problem for phpWebApp becoming a GNU
> package?
>
> Previously there were problems.  But I thought these
> were solved.  Can
> you point me to where you got that information?

I thought that I have seen it at:
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
However, now I see that it is about PHP3.0, maybe
it has changed now. Anyway, PHP is not in the list
of GNU GPL compatible licenses.

> It is entirely your choice where to host your
> project, but RMS will
> probably ask you to host your project at Savannah.
> (At least the CVS).

Surely I will host a copy of the CVS at Savannah.
However, I think that it will be like a mirror
copy of the CVS at SF (or maybe like a backup of it).
I will do the day-to-day development on SF, and once
in while (not very often) I will update the CVS at
Savannah with the latest changes. I have thought in
the past about how to keep two CVS repositories
sincronized, and finally I found it. It is not
very difficult.

Besides this, I think that phpWebApp can be
implemented in other languages as well, like Python,
Ruby, Perl, maybe Guile, etc. So, in case that I
start such a project (for example pyWebApp), I think
that I can host it entirely on Savannah.

> I suggest you write to address@hidden to ask
> for an  evaluation
> to get included into the GNU project.  There you can
> discuss what you
> will do.  Not host your poject on Savannah or
> partially.

Ok, thank you. I will write them.

Regards,
Dashamir