[Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah CVS update performance...

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah CVS update performance...
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:27:56 +0100

Vincent Caron <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> Eric Blossom wrote:
>> OK.  I just reproduced the same test on the same machine, I'm now
>> down
>> to 6.3 seconds.  Can you say highly variable...
>
> Apologies, Savannah does have serious slow down problems. It's peak
> time now, and a gnuradio checkout took me 5m40 locally on the server !
>
>  From here, I can see kswapd taking most time, half of the processes
> in the D state (uninterruptible state = low-level I/O bottleneck I
> guess), and no a byte of free swap. Conclusion : kswapd is swapping in
> and out permanently, this machine is in dire of swap space. It only
> has a 340MB swap for 1GB RAM. The Linux 2.4 VM requires 2GB of swap
> for proper operation on this hardware.
>
> I higly recommend to enlarge the current swap partition or add a 1,5GB
> one. Someone is handling this ?
>
> PS: adding some RAM wouldn't hurt, if you have some spare, please feed
> it to subversions. It would at least help to reduce the time periods
> where swap is awfully degrading performances.

The swap is almost unused.

address@hidden:~> vmstat
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 1 29  1 353420   7400  46504 318184   2   0     0     0    0     0   0   1   1

So this can't be the problem.

But one more time I see a anoncvs process taking 684 MB of RAM. This
is not the normal behavior of CVS.

This must be the problem.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |