[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savane-dev] Re: Development proposition: Merging

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savane-dev] Re: Development proposition: Merging GForge and Savane
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:36:02 +0200

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> tapota :

> (Please use this cleaned-up list for now on, where I removed people not
> concerned with this issue and people subscribed to mailing-lists, and
> added Tim Perdue which is directly concerned and not present in the
> previous recipients list)
>
> I also have the feeling a merge could be done.

How do you propose to get rid of these three issues:

>>    - The approach in matter of code design is not the same
>>    - The approach in matter of user interface is not the same
>>    - The approach in matter of licensing is not the same.

I do not see any benefit in this merge if this just about trashing
things -it will be, because apart from the historical common base (1
line of code nowadays) and the main purpose, there is nothing common-
apart from saving the face of some people that made damn unexplainable
decisions when they had several way more important issues to deal with
first.

> The main valid reason why this is welcome is that it will lead to a
> better product, and it is worth the effort. Work duplication is only
> good for proprietary software, like our common competitor SourceForge.

I'm happy that both KDE and GNOME exists, and as matter of fact I'm a
wmaker user... So I have nothing against some work duplication, if it
brings different products. It does not mean that I'm not in favor of
collaboration, like KDE and GNOME people are trying to do now.

But frankly, the only reason we are talking about that is completely
unrelated to Savane and Gforge: it is just because savannah.gnu.org is
in dead-end that this issue is brought, because some people like to
make decision but are not here to do the job and ask others to cope
with it.

I think there isn't much to say apart from that. I'm not interested in
dealing with others persons mistakes.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |