Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:49:31 +0200

Hello,

Here are some pointers:

Ok. I think I am missing something important here.
How do you distinguish a software that was written by GNU people from the software, that just uses GPL license?
In both cases it will contain GPL license.

Do you differentiate between the two cases?

I always thought that if somebody wrote a piece of code and used GPL license, this software will be called GNU.

Not at all! :)
Check:
http://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?group_id=5802&question=What_does_it_mean_to_become_a_GNU_package.txt
and:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#TOCallgpled

Well, standard parts are very small - just enough to boot the OS.
FreeBSD uses a huge ports collection, which consists of ported
applications. Pretty much the same set, which you can encounter in
GNU/Linux.

It makes it double difficult to calculate GNU involvement in FreeBSD,
because of the misconceptions mentioned above:
1. Can software which uses GPL license be called GNU?
2. Do we count only the base of the OS, or the whole distribution,
most of which consists of ports?

Maybe not perfectly related, but:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#TOCmany
and:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#TOCwhyorder

BTW,
What is the GNU's involvement in legal issues of the license?
For instance, some parties create CDs, which they don't make immidiately available from ftps, and force people to buy GNU/Linux this way. Do you think it's legal?

Check "Selling Free Software":
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html