Re: [Savannah-hackers] incorrect time on savannah?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] incorrect time on savannah?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:55:20 +0200

I did an ntpdate at Savannah.

However, I am still surprised that checking in files changes their timestamp in your working copy. Maybe what you are compiling is another checkout of the repository that you update right after the commit?

   Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:10:17 +0200
   From: Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden>

   We indeed are a bit in the future.
   While we consider whether we will start a ntp daemon,

That's not strictly necessary.  Just running ntpdate once in a while
would do nicely.  :)

   would you be so nice to explain me the method you used to discover
   this and in what way it is a inconvenience for you?

It's pretty simple, really -- I maintain MIT/GNU Scheme, for which I
keep a consistent set of sources and binaries.  After I check in a
file, I recompile it. However, since I usually compile it right away, this has been resulting in the source file being newer than the binary _after_ compilation is finished. Later, when I load the file, I get a warning from the loader that the source file is newer than the binary.

As I said, this isn't a big deal, but it is an annoyance.

Thanks for your help.