Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Yet Another Communication System -

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Yet Another Communication System - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:43:33 +0200

Romeu Henrique Capparelli Fonsec <address@hidden> described the
package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Yet Another Communication System
System name: yacos
Type: non-GNU

Event Based Mail (and other messaging ways) Communication System
(no short name for this yet)

A system based on a database (sqlite or mysql or postgresql) for
sending multiple messages. These messages are controled by events
(e.g. received, opened, request_for_more). These events can be
generated externaly (MPI, ICP) or internally (Database, trigger). All
operations is logged on DB.

I will use a external MTA (e.g Postfix)

The Goal of this project is to permit communication on demand or
'opt-ins'. Some uses are:
 - E-mail based courses  (lessons are send on demand)
 - E-mail based marketing (with anti-spam politics)
 - SMS calls from central
 - etc.

Other Software Required:
perl module on CPAN: Crypt::Tea

Other Comments:
For now I have only a bunch of codes on PHP and Perl. I will depend on
any non-GPL lib or prog.
In the first phase it will be a Linux+Apache+Php+Postfix+Perl system

Please include an (temporary) URL pointing to the source code.  The
description you gave when registering will not be read by the general
public. If you are still concerned with privacy, however, you can
forward the code to me by email.

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early. For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and statement permitting copying at the
beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help
catch potential omissions such as these.

Also, Crypt::Tea is released under the Artistic license, which does
not qualify as a free software license. Check
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ArtisticLicense
We do not accept non free software dependencies.

However, most Perl packages (including Perl itself) are dual licensed GPL + Artistic, which solves this issue. I am pretty sure you could talk the Crypt::Tea author, Abhijit Menon-Sen <address@hidden>, into re-releasing his work under this dual license.

Are you willing to do this?