[Savannah-hackers] submission of VL2 Support Libraries - savannah.nongnu

From: kspb46
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of VL2 Support Libraries - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:17:59 -0400

Sreepathi Pai <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: VL2 Support Libraries
System name: vl2-libs
Type: non-GNU

VL2 Support Code

This is a collection of "libraries" from VL2, a name/address search
engine which was developed to search the electoral rolls in India.
It is written entirely in PHP, and includes code that does the
following:

* Converts from Unicode (internal representation) to legacy
  Latin-based fonts for display on non-Unicode machines.

* JavaScript routines to transliterate from English to Devanagari
  using the popular ITRANS scheme.

* Includes an implementation of "SouIndics", a approximate phonetic
  name matching algorithm for Indic languages developed especially for
  VL2.

* Search support routines for similar search engines for features like
  database interfacing, phonetic matching, match count, etc.

* Support for localization

The source code to VL2 has not been released. I would prefer to e-mail
the above components to you (< 40k). This is not the entire search
engine, as some of the copyrights on the rest of the engine are not
owned by us (developers include me, Swapnil Hajare, Prof. Jitendra
Shah, the latter two from http://www.indictrans.org where you will
also find screenshots of VL2 -- select Voterlist link).

Other Software Required:
All components are free software to the best of my knowledge.

DB: PostgreSQL 7.4 + tsearch2 (www.postgresql.org)
Language: PHP 4.0
Web: Apache Web server
OS: GNU/Linux