[Savannah-hackers] [Savannah] argopt want to be a GNU package

From: savannah-hackers
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [Savannah] argopt want to be a GNU package
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 08:28:08 -0400

Hi,

The following project was submitted to Savannah. It needs evaluation to
become a GNU package, can you give it a look, please ?

Submitter: <address@hidden>
Project Full Name:  argopt, an alternative getopt library
Project System Name:  argopt
License:  lgpl
Approval URL: https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=5919
in my personal opinion, not paticularly well designed. There is a confusing
array of possible program argument syntaxes, especially the artificial
distinction between long and short options. Consider the following two options:

   --dosomething
   -d

Invoking your program with &quot;a.out -d&quot; is ambigious. getopt(3) would
always assume that you actually ment &quot;-d&quot;, but what if you simply
forgot  an extra &quot;-&quot;?

Removing the distinction between long and short options would make it safer to
specify un-ambigious options, and IMHO is a cleaner design.

Another design issue is the use of magical numerical constants in getopt(3)
function calls.

All of these issues are solved by implementing an alternative library, named
argopt(3). argopt(3) are therefore presented as an alternative for getopt(3)
that I would like to make available for free software developers.

The library is fully implemented and tested. I do not have an URL to give you,
but I would like to send a tar-ball by email, if possible.

Best regards,
  jules

 -- the Savannah admin

  Message sent via/by Savannah