Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Project Approved

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Project Approved
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:11:57 +0200

We already have a policy not to accept code released under the GNU GPL
version 2 only. Here is what we usually say in such case:

"Licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.  Would you agree
to license your project under the "GNU GPL v2 or later"?

The reason for this is that when we publish GPL v3, it will be important
for all GPL-covered programs to advance to GPL v3.  If you don't put
this in the files now, the only way to port your program to GPL v3
would be to ask each and every copyright holder, and that may be very
difficult."

Also check: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#VersionTwoOrLater

In the same spirit, it would be better to use "Affero GPL v1 or
later".

There was an error from our part not checking that you used the
appropriate license notice for the Affero GPL.

This is not really a big concern, because the AGPL states:

"You may also choose to redistribute modified versions of this program
under any version of the Free Software Foundation's GNU General Public
License version 3 or higher, so long as that version of the GNU GPL
includes terms and conditions substantially equivalent to those of
this license."

This essentially fixes our concern about "GPL v2 and later
compatibility"; however, I think it would be better to release your
project under "AGPL v1 and later", in case a new AGPL version is
released before the GPL v3.