Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Project Approved

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Project Approved
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:49:45 +0200

Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> We already have a policy not to accept code released under the GNU GPL
> version 2 only. Here is what we usually say in such case:
>
> "Licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.  Would you agree
> to license your project under the "GNU GPL v2 or later"?
>
> The reason for this is that when we publish GPL v3, it will be important
> for all GPL-covered programs to advance to GPL v3.  If you don't put
> this in the files now, the only way to port your program to GPL v3
> would be to ask each and every copyright holder, and that may be very
> difficult."
>
> Also check: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#VersionTwoOrLater

> In the same spirit, it would be better to use "Affero GPL v1 or
> later".

> There was an error from our part not checking that you used the
> appropriate license notice for the Affero GPL.
>
> This is not really a big concern, because the AGPL states:
>
> "You may also choose to redistribute modified versions of this program
> under any version of the Free Software Foundation's GNU General Public
> License version 3 or higher, so long as that version of the GNU GPL
> includes terms and conditions substantially equivalent to those of
> this license."
>
> This essentially fixes our concern about "GPL v2 and later
> compatibility"; however, I think it would be better to release your
> project under "AGPL v1 and later", in case a new AGPL version is
> released before the GPL v3.

Thanks Sylvain. I have read again both the GNU GPL v2 license and the Affero
GPL v1 license. Now, I am sure "new versions will be similar in spirit to the
present version".

I will rewrite the notice as follows:

    "This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the Affero General Public License as published by Affero
Inc., either version 1 of the License, or (at your option) any later
version."

Reference: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
<snip>
9.  The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or new versions of
the General Public License from time to time. Such new versions will be
similar in spirit to the present version, but may differ in detail to address
new problems or concerns.
</snip>

Reference: http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html
<snip>
9.  Affero Inc. may publish revised and/or new versions of the Affero General
Public License from time to time. Such new versions will be similar in spirit
to the present version, but may differ in detail to address new problems or
concerns.
</snip>

Regards,
Davi