[Savannah-hackers] submission of GeoIP match extensions for iptables - s

From: sjean
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GeoIP match extensions for iptables - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:31:47 -0500

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Samuel Jean <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: GeoIP match extensions for iptables
System name: geoip
Type: GNU

netfilter and iptables are building blocks of a framework inside the Linux
2.4.x and 2.6.x kernel. This framework enables packet filtering, network
address [and port] translation (NA[P]T) and other packet mangling.

That framework permits us to write add-ons for it, so we can add features which
will let you do new tricks for a given packets. We can see geoip's match as an
extension to iptables/netfilter's framework which allows you to filter, nat or
mangle packets based on the country's destination or provenance.

This match is special as it needs an external database that contains IPv4
subnets and their respective associated countries. As of writing it, Maxmind
provides free one. But someone who feels "sado" can easily compile its own
database with our csv2bin.c code.

Basically, our iptables geoip shared library is only working with database
converted with csv2bin.c and csv2bin only accepts Maxmind's GeoIP CSV format.
(www.maxmind.com)

Our project provides 3 things :

* A tools to convert a given database.
* An iptables/netfilter match
* Documentations

Other Software Required:
nothing, netfilter comes with Linux 2.4 and higher.

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/