Re: [Savannah-help-public] commit mailinglists vs savannah project membe

From: Sylvain Beucler
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:10:11 +0200

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> > > OK, so I added spam rule 1 that just accepts on:
> > > And Holds the message for now.
> > >
> > > This supposes that the commit script always has a Message-Id of that
> > > form and spam won't. If this works out then I will change the second
> > > rule to Reject.
> >
> > I don't think this will work, because afaik all mail transit via
> > another machine called monty-python. We tried to setup such filtering
> > for Emacs' commit list but we had to disable it at a point :/
>
> Worse. It seemed to create a mail-loop. Somehow it also marked the
> "needs approval" email as needing approval creating more then a hundred
> messages in the approval queue. I quickly turned it off.
>
> But now I am stuck :{
> What can we do?

The solution I had in mind involved a special header set by the CVS
notifier (not Message-Id). However this solution would also block
Mailman-originated administrative mails, so I need to find a way to
work around this :/

Also, if you need a test mailing list, so as not to break any existing
one, I can create one.

> > > Who administrates this and where are changes in setup sent to?
> > > I would like to subscribe to these kind of infrastructure setup change
> > > message because I am maintaining a couple of projects and mailinglists
> > > and it is good to know when something changes (and why of course).
> >
> > I don't think there is such a list. Afaik, the FSF sysadmins do not
> > have much time and rely on the fact they work in the same physical
> > place, reducing the need for written communication.
>
> Then how can you as savannah-hackers effectively help people if the
> sysadmins don't communicate with you?

This is a problem indeed. And if I weren't a GNU maintainer myself I
wouldn't even have heard about the other spam solutions at
gnuprog-discuss..

I wrote the FSF sysadmins about it.