Re: [Savannah-help-public] backup tape space

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] backup tape space
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:41:41 +0200

> > Can you tell us some more about it? Are there incremental backups?
>
> Currently we do a daily rsync, and once a week a full backup to tape. We
> don't do incremental backups.

Ok, thanks.

Also, do you keep backup tapes for a while, or are they reused every
week?

It is easy to restore a set of files from the previous day's rsync
"hotcopy"?

> I said 'almost 200GB'; I was being lazy. If you do 188 * 1024 * 1024 you will
> see that that number is almost 200.000.000, which is what the du -s command
> told me.

I suggest 'du -sh' ;)

> > You can probably exclude /root/Trash from the backup.
>
> I have now. That should bring us down to 4 tapes again - we were up to 5 and
> even 6 earlier this year.
>
> Can you also clean out /var/tmp? It has a lot of large files from 2004.

Did so :) I also issued a series of 'make -f rules/debian clean' in
compilation-environment to remove around 4GB.

Tell us how well the clean-up worked!

> For your information, this is the current 'exclude' file for Savannah. If you
> have suggestions for things that should be added/removed from this list, let
> us know.
>
> /savannah/dev
> /savannah/var/run/zope/default/pcgi.sock
> /subsystems/arch/var/run/apache2/cgisock
> /subsystems/savannah/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> /savannah/tmpfs/
> /root/Trash/
> /initrd/
> /subsystems/accounts/proc
> /subsystems/accounts/dev
> /subsystems/accounts/tmp
> /subsystems/apt-proxy/proc
> /subsystems/apt-proxy/dev
> /subsystems/apt-proxy/tmp
> /subsystems/arch/proc
> /subsystems/arch/dev
> /subsystems/arch/tmp
> /subsystems/cvs/proc
> /subsystems/cvs/dev
> /subsystems/cvs/tmp
> /subsystems/cvs/var/lock/cvs
> /subsystems/compilation-environment/proc
> /subsystems/compilation-environment/dev
> /subsystems/compilation-environment/tmp
> /subsystems/download/proc
> /subsystems/download/dev
> /subsystems/download/tmp
> /subsystems/savannah/proc
> /subsystems/savannah/dev
> /subsystems/savannah/tmp
> /savannah/proc
> /subsystems/cvs/cvsroot.sv/*/dev/
> /subsystems/cvs/var/run/apache2/cgisock
> /subsystems/download/var/run/apache2/cgisock
> /var/bind/dev
> /var/tmp
> /root/deleted-projects/*/cvsroot/dev/null
> /subsystems/arch/home
> /subsystems/cvs/home
> /subsystems/download/home

You may add:
/sys
/subsystems/*/sys
/tmp
/subsystems/*/tmp
/var/cache/apt/archives/*
/subsystems/apt-proxy/var/cache/apt-proxy/* (but keep .apt-proxy)

You may remove:
/subsystems/cvs/cvsroot.sv/*/dev/ (I trashed cvsroot/sv)
/savannah/tmpfs/ (Unused -> deleted)
/root/deleted-projects/*/cvsroot/dev/null (I removed those)
/initrd (is it necessary to exclude it?)

You should rename:
/savannah -> /subsystems/savannah

Also: is, for example, /subsystems/arch/home restored in the case of a
complete recovery? It's not the same as /subsystems/arch/home/*, and
the directory itself may not be restored. We would need the empty
directories (/home, /dev, /initrd, etc.) to be restored.