Re: [savannah-help-public] GSL: switching from bzr to git

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] GSL: switching from bzr to git
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 18:09:18 -0600

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Alken wrote:
>   Thanks for your help earlier. We have imported a new git
> repository, under the branch 'master' - it looks like you changed
> the old repository to 'oldmaster'. Unfortunately when we do a clone
> of the repository, the default branch appears to be 'oldmaster'
> instead of 'master'. I don't know any way to change this remotely -
> is this something you can do for us?

Drat.  I didn't think about testing that when I did it.

I don't know if it is something that can be done remotely or not.  But
locally it is simply the name in the gsl.git/HEAD file.

  $ cat HEAD
  ref: refs/heads/oldmaster

I simply changed that to point to refs/heads/master to fix it.  I just
now did a clone to test it and the branch is now master.

  $ git branch -l
  * master

Sorry about that.  Fixed now.

> The command appears to be:
> git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/master

Hmm...  A new command!  It edits the file and does the same thing as
the above.  That would do it!  I will add that command to the toolbox.

> however this may need to be done directly on the savannah repository.

Yes.  Sorry again for missing that problem with the above.  I should
have double checked with a checkout.

Bob