[Savannah-register-public] [task #4483] Submission of tlgu - TLG/PHI to

From: tlgu
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4483] Submission of tlgu - TLG/PHI to UTF-8 utility
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:28:19 +0000

Hi Sebastian,

I get your point allright! The author must cite "either version 2, or (at
your option) any later version." The "redistributor" or "modifier", however,
does have the option to use version 2 (or 3 or 1000).  Can't you perceive a
logical flaw here?  The redistributor can, the author can't.  The author is
not granted the same rights as the redistributor or modifier.

For the sake of worse-case argument, as I don't consider my puny contribution
a significant case, suppose that FSF receives a hefty grant from Ty Coon and,
contrary to all expectations, decides that the new version of the GPL license
assigns all rights to the dreaded Yoyodyne Inc. (names are fictitious, of
course and Yoyodyne would steal any needed code, anyway)

How can you guarantee that this will never happen?

On the other hand, version 2 is quite adequate for declaring what I want to
do with my code.  I don't want the particular code distributed as part of any
proprietary version (commercial or otherwise); on the other hand, I don't
really care about the mandatory code feedback that supposedly GPL v3 or the
existing AfferoGPL guarantees.

Is this discussion of any use in the drafting of v3?

Be good,

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4483>