[Savannah-register-public] [task #14621] Submission of Graph Model Libra

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14621] Submission of Graph Model Library
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 07:15:34 -0400 (EDT)

> Please study what is known about the different legal situations in
> different countries.

I'm sorry, such a study would take too much time; could you point
out the key differences relevant to our discussion?

> There are in fact differences with respect to
> what is allowable under copyright law, who has standing to seek
> remedies, etc.

Yes, but in most countries copyright law complies with the Berne
Convention, and it says that the authors shall enjoy economic
rights unless they transfer their rights to someone else.

> Because it is released under the AGPL, the
> software will always be free.
>
>  Nothing in the policy I have identified conflicts with anyone's
> ability to maintain the free status of a GPLed program (or library in
> this case). After all, it is released under the GPL and thus by design
> cannot be made "unfree".

If "Us" decide to release a proprietary version of the library,
the library in that version will be nonfree. The only people
who could prevent this are contributors---but if they sign that
agreement, they can't.

> As for contributor agreements.org, their stated aim is the
> following: "The goal of contributoragreements.org is to develop the
> legal and technical infrastructure that will enable open source
> collaborative projects to receive,

Savannah doesn't support open source
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html>, we support
free software.
These are different things
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-open-overlap.html>.

> the goal is to create an environment in which collaborative
> projects can thrive

People can collaborate in proprietary projects.  Collaboration by
itself is not our goal, our goal is freedom.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14621>