[Savannah-register-public] [task #15078] Submission of Speech Dispatcher

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #15078] Submission of Speech Dispatcher
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 07:26:22 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #25, task #15078 (project administration):

> it isn't clear for me how it turned out that files like po/de.gmo still lack
copyright and license notices.

That's because I have basically never seen a single source tarball put
copyright and license notices there. Anyway, I have now added a po/README note
there, and uploaded to http://dept-info.labri.fr/~thibault/tmp/speechd.tgz

To tell the truth, I am really surprised by all these problems around gettext.
I mean, this can't be the first package being submitted to savannah which
contains gettext translations which pose these ground license and copyright
questions.

Put another way, for somebody who wants to create a package following the GNU
recommendations, she would notably take the GNU hello package as an example,
since it's meant to be that, and thus use gettext, and then fall in all the
traps we have been discussing recently. GNU hello and everything that it uses
really needs to be fixed, otherwise one can not hope to see anybody be able to
submit a package to savannah.

I know you said you are just requesting to follow Savannah policies, but the
Savanah policy are part of the general GNU project. As seen from outside, the
current situation (just following the GNU Coding Standards, but then being
rejected from  savannah due to issues in existing GNU packages) looks very
incoherent and doesn't help promoting the GNU goals.

I'm not saying that the savannah administrators should fix all packages
themselves, or even fix the GNU hello package themselves, but they should make
sure, by submitting appropriate bug reports, that the GNU hello package always
follows the savannah policies, so it can be taken as an example which respects
all policies. You can not expect newcomers to have to do this, that'd not a
way to greet them to the GNU project.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15078>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/