[task #15919] Submission of Texinfo Support for Visual Studio Code

From: CismonX
Subject: [task #15919] Submission of Texinfo Support for Visual Studio Code
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 04:35:10 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves
or discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process,
*approving or discarding the registration must be done using the specific
Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=12131> page*,
accessible only to site administrators,
effectively *logged as site administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=12131>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *Texinfo Support for Visual Studio Code*
* System Name:  *vscode-texinfo*
* Type: non-GNU software and documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later

----

This project is an extension of Visual Studio Code (a popular source code
editor) which aims at improving user experience for editing Texinfo
documents.

Major features include:
* Syntax Highlighting
* Code Completion
* HTML Preview
* Folding & Breadcrumb Navigation
* Diagnostics

== Other Software Required: ==
``Statically linked'':

* Fast HTML Parser (https://github.com/taoqf/node-html-parser): MIT
* Texinfo syntax highlighting (https://github.com/Alhadis/language-texinfo):
ISC

By ``statically linked'' we mean that the compiled code (minimized, mangled
JavaScript code) from dependencies is merged with the code from this project
when generating the binary. Not what we normally called ``statically linked'',
but something like that.

----

Runtime dependencies (as separate programs):

* Visual Studio Code (https://github.com/microsoft/vscode): MIT
* GNU Texinfo (https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo): GPL-3.0-or-later

== Other Comments: ==
About Visual Studio Code:

Although the ``Visual Studio Code'' repository in GitHub is free software, the
official binary distribution is proprietary, which makes it a bad example for
free software.

In support of free software, we do not link to the site which hosts the
proprietary binary distribution, as well as the ``Visual Studio Marketplace''
site, which is also propreietary. Instead, we link to their free alternatives:
VSCodium (https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium) and Open VSX Registry
(https://open-vsx.org/) when such links are necessary.

----

About license of dependencies:

It is always troublesome when analyzing the license compatibility of Node.js
projects, as the dependency trees tend to be very deep.

By using the ``license-checker'' command line tool
(https://github.com/davglass/license-checker) on the project, we got the
following licenses:

* MIT: 232
* ISC: 21
* BSD-2-Clause: 12
* BSD-3-Clause: 9
* Apache-2.0: 7
* (MIT OR CC0-1.0): 2
* CC-BY-4.0: 1
* 0BSD: 1

These licenses are known to be compatible with GPL, except for the BSD
Zero-Clause License. However, as a public domain dedication, it should also be
compatible.

We do not list all of them in the project's license notice, only the direct
dependencies.

----

About copyright & license notice of project files that cannot carry one:

That applies to the JSON files and a PNG image in the project.

According to this page
(https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html), we
should put them in a README file. However, it is very strange, especially for
the average users who do not care about license of trivial files, for such
information to appear in a README file, which should be short and informative.
So we put them in a separate file, i.e., LICENCE_NOTICE.md.

== Tarball URL: ==
https://savannah.nongnu.org/submissions_uploads/vscode-texinfo-v0.2.0-beta.tar.gz

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15919>

  Message sent via Savannah