[task #15919] Submission of Texinfo Support for Visual Studio Code

From: CismonX
Subject: [task #15919] Submission of Texinfo Support for Visual Studio Code
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 13:23:30 -0400 (EDT)

> One workaround could be to preprocess the files to strip the comments and
get the "real" JSON.

This is a good workaround indeed. I'm doing that for
language-configuration.json, so that it is converted to a standard JSON before
packaged into binary.

For tsconfig.json, I believe there's no need to do that, because currently
TypeScript can recognize it as ``JSON with comments'' (not documented though).
Even it breaks one day, it only breaks on the developer's side, as the file is
not packaged into the binary release.

----

> Why not?

It's harmless, but confounding comments with code or data is not good by
software design. It's like writing comments in string literals and assign them
to unused local variables in C.

However, for package.json (and package-lock.json) I believe there's no other
choice, unless NPM guys change their mind, or some future JSON spec officially
supports comments.

----

I've made a revision to the previously uploaded files:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/submissions_uploads/vscode-texinfo-v0.2.0-beta-rev1.tar.gz

Now only the PNG image does not contain a copyright notice.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15919>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/