[task #15919] Submission of Texinfo Support for Visual Studio Code

From: CismonX
Subject: [task #15919] Submission of Texinfo Support for Visual Studio Code
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 08:48:30 -0400 (EDT)

> I thought JSON files were flexible enough to include a few comments; was I
wrong?

That depends on which spec of JSON you're following.

The standard JSON, as specified in RFC7159/RFC8259/ECMA-404, does not allow
comment blocks. While JSON5, a popular superset of JSON, supports C-style
comments. However, the latter it is not standardized, and unsupported by most
systems which use JSON.

For the current project, the Node Package Manager will produce an error if
provided a non-standard package.json or package-lock.json. While tsconfig.json
and language-configuaration.json do currently allow comments like in JSON5,
however, this is not a documented feature of either TypeScript or VSCode,
which is better avoided than abused.

A possible workaround is adding extra entries to the JSON and pretend that
they are comments, which is also not a very good idea. I never see anyone do
something like that in a serious project.

Any suggestion on this problem?

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15919>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/