sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] pgp.mit.edu upgraded to SKS

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] pgp.mit.edu upgraded to SKS
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 10:31:08 -0400

On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:24 AM, Peter Pramberger wrote:

Am Fr, 3.07.2009, 09:06, schrieb John Clizbe:
I've attached a tarball of my dev copy. It's Peter's 0.8.2 with a
couple patches to put an extracted key into own attachment and some
mime-type tweaks. Also included are additional translations for
Spanish and Catalan.

Do you mind getting them included in the next release?

But before we change the response format, we should know if there is
any software out there which parses such responses?

GPG has the ability to request keys via the email interface, though this is not built in by default (it must be requested at ./configure time). Even if the feature is included, GPG does not parse the response, and it is up to the person who receives the mail to extract the key from it and import it into GPG. I don't know of any other programs that use the email interface.

I'm a bit surprised, actually, that people still use the email interface to fetch keys. Does anyone have rough numbers on how often this happens?

David