sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 3 million keys & and community help requested

From: Jeffrey Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 3 million keys & and community help requested
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:48:32 -0400

On Nov 2, 2011, at 5:49 AM, Andrey Korobkov wrote:

> Is there any chances that SKS would be ported to some other, more common
> databases like MySQL?

BDB isn't "uncommon" …

> What is the reason behind choosing BDB as a storage?

Likely MySQL wasn't available or sufficiently portable when
an implementation choice had to be made (2003? 2004? something like that).
Disclaimer:
        I wasn't there, don't know, just guessing.

> I think, having SKS work with client-server databases rather than file-based
> could give it more scalability…

Your turn now:
        What benefit would there be using "common" implementation and a
client-server
        architecture?

Scalability as in transactions/second isn't the important issue for SKS:
gossiping and rapid
synchronization and robust loosely-coupled availability are perhaps more
important
than what db implementation is/was chosen.

73 de Jeff