sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 3 million keys & and community help requested

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 3 million keys & and community help requested
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 13:46:09 -0400

On 11/2/11 5:49 AM, Andrey Korobkov wrote:
> Is there any chances that SKS would be ported to some other, more
> common databases like MySQL?

Berkeley DB isn't quite ubiquitous, but it's close.

> What is the reason behind choosing BDB as a storage?

It is exactly as much hammer as we need for the nail.  MySQL and its
ilk are tremendously capable databases that can do everything up to and
including preparing your morning latte.  We don't need those
capabilities.  Berkeley DB is much more limited, basically working on
key/value pairs... which happens to map quite neatly to our problem domain.

> I think, having SKS work with client-server databases rather than
> file-based could give it more scalability...

I hate to sound harsh, but in my experience the overwhelming majority of
the time complex systems do not act in ways that conform to our thoughts
and expectations.

If you believe this is a good idea and worth pursuing, I'm sure many
people on this list would welcome performance metrics between Berkeley
and MySQL/MariaDB/Postgres.