sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Keydump

From: Pete Stephenson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Keydump
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:13:28 +0200

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Henning Kopp <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Admin,

Hi!

You've reached a mailing list, not a specific individual.

Is it possible to get a keydump of all gpg-keys? Are there any usage
restrictions? What would the size of the data be?

<https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/wiki/KeydumpSources> has a list of various sites that publish dumps from public keyservers.

A few of the sites listed there don't seem to be working at present, but <http://ftp.prato.linux.it/pub/keyring/dump-latest/> is available.

As for usage restrictions, I'm not certain: I'd imagine that any information submitted to keyservers is published with the intent that it would be publicly available and so you shouldn't run into problems, but I'm not a lawyer.

I am a Phd student and want to do some research on gpg-keys. Perhaps
you know about factorable (https://factorable.net/) where some
researchers scanned the internet for ssl/tls-certificates. They tried
some trivial factorization methods, like computing gcd, etc. and had
success. Also many of the keys were the same due to embedded devices,
having not enough entropy.
I want to do the same or something similar on gpg-keys. Do you know
of any research which was already done?

Best regards
Henning Kopp

--