French language with Speech Dispatcher, Speechd-el and DECtalk software

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: French language with Speech Dispatcher, Speechd-el and DECtalk software 5.0
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:47 2006

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 01:26:49PM +0200, Gilles Casse wrote:
> A new option has been added to select the language (e.g. for spanish "-l es"
> ).
> At the moment, the default language is french :-).
> However, I meet an issue when typing french characters under Emacs:
> For example, the c cedilla (0xe7) seems to crash the output module.
> When I type:
> fran??ais

Hi Gilles,

thanks for your interest and please excuse the delay. We have switched the
internal handling of messages inside the modules to SSML (Speech Synthesis
Markup Language) and there were various changes in order to do this. I hope
the problem is fixed in the last version 0.5-rc1, please could you try it?

There might be some problem in recoding the characters also. Please try to add
        GenericLanguage "fr" "fr" "iso-8859-?"  to the configuration
file dtk-generic.conf in etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/ and substitute
? for the appropriate number. (You will most probably need to do this
anyway).

If it still doesn't work, please switch debugging on in dtk-generic.conf,
repeat the situation and send me the resulting file.

With Regards,
Hynek Hanke