French language with Speech Dispatcher, Speechd-el and DECtalk software

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: French language with Speech Dispatcher, Speechd-el and DECtalk software 5.0
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:47 2006

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:57:30AM +0200, Gilles Casse wrote:
> When the c cedilla is typed under emacs, the dtk-generic processes crash.

> In generic.c, g_convert_with_fallback expects a UTF-8 character but a single
> byte,
> e.g the c cedilla character, is received.
> Then g_convert_with_fallback returns NULL.

Yes, now I see it. The same happens in Czech language, speechd-el doesn't send
the
characters (at least with the KEY command) in UTF-8 in SSIP, but in the original
charset. This problem doesn't appear with longer messages sent through the
SPEAK command,
these are correctly in UTF-8. Could you Milan look at it please? I'm not
familiar with
speechd-el enough.

> I have added a few lines for the test in generic.c which also avoid the crash
> [2].

Thank you for spotting this, there needs to be a safe test for this case.

With Regards,
Hynek Hanke