a new module in speech-dispatcher

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: a new module in speech-dispatcher
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:51 2006

> Yes I think it is stable enough to be included in a release.
> I've been testing it for a month using orca and the gnome desktop, and
> there is no problem with the speech dispatcher module itself. I have had
> some problems with gnome-speech that I think is not very stable.
> A few french testers reported me that I made a good job :)

Hi Olivier,

this is great news. I've reviewed the code, it looks very good. I have
these concerns:

* The copyright statement doesn't contain the proper copyright
attribution (Copyright (C) ...., date). If you do not object,
I'd prefer copyright by Brailcom, o.p.s. This puts the whole project
in a better legal position against possible violators.

* line 136, module_init() contains the statement 'Debug = 1' which
seems to do nothing. Delete?

* Do we really need cicero_wrapper? I think we could just open a logfile
in the driver and redirect the stderr of the subprocess there before we
exec it. This way, we can do without installing an additional program.
The file where logs from cicero should be stored of course would be
configurable through cicero.conf.

* line 218, module_speak() reads `char temp[500];' That sounds pretty
dangerous.

* Do you plan to add support for voice and pitch change in the future?

* Also, would it theoretically be possible to return audio data from
cicero and play them in the module or upstream? I do not think we should
do that now as we are currently porting the modules from Dispatcher
under TTS API and this audio handling part will change. But for the
future, this approach would be better, so I'm curious.

Thanks for all your work!
Hynek

PS: Please CC address@hidden .