feature request: libspeechd should reconnect to sd

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: feature request: libspeechd should reconnect to sd
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:04:30 +0100

Halim Sahin wrote:
> It seems to me that libspeechd does not check if the server is still alive.
> So the app wich is using libspeechd to communicate with sd server crashs
> if speech-dispatcher server closes the connection or crashs.

Hi Halim,

thanks for your idea, but I believe it is the task of the application to
handle
the situation in case the connection crashes. Libspeechd should just
return error from its functions and the application, if this is desired,
should try to reconnect after some timeout.

Reconnecting is not so trivial, because all the parameters and context
previously set are lost, so it would be rather wrong if libspeechd performed
silent reconnects behind the back of the application. It is the application
who needs to decide what to do in such a case.

I believe though that applications like speechd-up should
keep attempting to reconnect if the connection dies.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke