Bug: src/python/Makefile and prefix

From: C . M . Brannon
Subject: Bug: src/python/Makefile and prefix
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:30:52 -0600

Hynek Hanke <hanke at brailcom.cz> writes:

> Hello,
>
> if one installs the libraries into non-standard directories, he
> needs to set LDPATH, PYTHON_PATH etc. to appropriate
> destinations so that these libraries are found.

There's also GNU stow.  It works on the following principle.  A
version of a package is placed in its own private directory.  For
instance, Monday's CVS snapshot of Speech Dispatcher might go under
/usr/local/stow/speech-dispatcher-20080204 (or whatever you like).
Stow creates symlinks from this tree to the standard places.  The nice
thing is that you can keep several versions of a package.  You can easily
revert to a previous version, if you find a
problem with the current version.  It eases the problem of keeping up
with CVS.  Right now, I just create my symlinks manually, but I'll
eventually automate things using Stow.

OTOH, perhaps I could accomplish the same thing by creating my own Debian
packages.
-- Chris