Writing a driver for Finnish speaking synthesizer?

From: Petteri Heiskari
Subject: Writing a driver for Finnish speaking synthesizer?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:09:34 +0300

Hi!

I have been studying a couple of days the way Speech Dispatcher works. I
have version 0.6.6 installed and started my work based on ttsapi.h &
ttsapi.c.

I would like to avoid writing audio interface but in my configuration the
Speech Dispatcher calls the driver only with these requests when executing
spd-say hello:

INIT
REPLY: 200 OK INITALIZED

LIST VOICES
REPLY: 200-"Mikko" fi "nil" MALE 0
200-"Petteri" fi "nil" MALE 0
200-"Petteri42" fi "nil" MALE 0
200-"Riku" fi "nil" MALE 0
200 OK DRIVER LIST SENT

SET
REPLY: 299 OK RECEIVING DATA
pitch=0
rate=0
(some others...)
.
REPLY: 211 OK PARAMETER SET

SPEAK
REPLY: 299 OK RECEIVING DATA

<speak>hello</speak>
.

Here my driver complains:
300 MISSING ARGUMENT

Because there was not definition PLAIN|SSML. However this is not the point.
To my understanding the Speech Dispatcher should first query the driver
capabilities, and if it cannot play audio itself, send command SET AUDIO
RETRIEVAL DESTINATION host port.

Or is the documentation ahead of the actual implementation? Or do I just
have outdated version of the Speech Dispatcher?

Best regards, Petteri Heiskari

P.s. You can find demo of the synthesizer from
http://www.mikropuhe.com/live/