Writing a driver for Finnish speaking synthesizer?

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Writing a driver for Finnish speaking synthesizer?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:05:05 +0200

Petteri Heiskari napsal(a):
> I have been studying a couple of days the way Speech Dispatcher works. I
> have version 0.6.6 installed and started my work based on ttsapi.h &
> ttsapi.c.

Hi Petter,

thanks for your effort. There is however a misunderstanding.
We are currently developing two projects. One is the old
implementation of Speech Dispatcher, which is currently
being used, but in certain ways quite limited. Then there is
an effort to implement a new Speech Dispatcher composed
of a Message Dispatcher and TTS API Provider. This later
solution is better designed, more feature complete, easier
to extend, but not yet ready for end-users.

For developing the output module, you must chose which one
do you want to use, because their output modules are not
compatible (although it is possible to use Dispatcher modules
in TTS API Provider using a bridge). What you tried to do is to
develop a TTSAPI output module (driver) and use it with Speech
Dispatcher. That doesn't work.

Unfortunatelly, in the old Speech Dispatcher, the output
module MUST care about audio output and there is no
,,retrieval'' method. The prefered way to play audio is to use
the libspdaudio library as described in Speech Dispatcher
documentation.

I would recommend you either develop an output module
for Speech Dispatcher, use the generic output module for
Speech Dispatcher or help us to finish TTS API Provider.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke