retrieving synthesized auio data?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: retrieving synthesized auio data?
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:28:34 +1100

If all that is needed is to catch audio output into a .wav file (or similar),
it can be done very easily with ALSA using a .asoundrc file. For example, this
is how I had mine configured so that all sound output sent to the audio card
was captured

 pcm.copy {
     type plug
     slave {
         pcm "hw"
     }
 route_policy copy
}

this will generate a wav file, which you can redirect to something like lame
and generate an mp3 file to save space. By default, it writes to a file in the
/var hierarchy (see the ALSA plugins docs for more details).

Its been about a year since I last used this technique, so can't garantee ALSA
hasn't changed a bit, so check the docs to be safe. I was using this technique
to generate mp3 files from speechd and emacspeak reading large buffers of
data in emacs. What I liked about it was that it was simple and independent of
either the speech synth being used or the framework i.e. speech-dispatcher,
emacspeak, orca etc.

The only issue I had was getting recording levels right. Had to fiddle with
alsamixer settngs a bit to get the right levels etc.

HTH

Tim

Tim Cross
tcross at rapttech.com.au

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.
--
Tim Cross
tcross at rapttech.com.au