retrieving synthesized auio data?

From: A
Subject: retrieving synthesized auio data?
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 10:19:06 +0200

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Tim Cross <tcross at rapttech.com.au> wrote:

> If all that is needed is to catch audio output into a .wav file (or similar),
> it can be done very easily with ALSA using a .asoundrc file. For example, this
> is how I had mine configured so that all sound output sent to the audio card
> was captured
>

> ?pcm.copy {
> ? ? type plug
> ? ? slave {
> ? ? ? ? pcm "hw"
> ? ? }
> ?route_policy copy
> }
>
> this will generate a wav file, which you can redirect to something like lame
> and generate an mp3 file to save space. By default, it writes to a file in the
> /var hierarchy (see the ALSA plugins docs for more details).

I think that will do nothing interesting.

Try something like:
pcm.teeraw {
   type empty
   slave.pcm "tee:default,'/tmp/out.raw',raw"
   # 48000 S16_LE 2ch (aplay -t raw -f dat)
}

Recent alsa can output wav but I'm on a debian ;) You can change
"default" to whatever pcm you like (including null). Of course that's
again not what you want... I know alsa has a shared memory plug-in so
instead of a file, it outputs to a shm location what can be more
convenient for you. But it should be as easy for you to read that file
(you can even create it as fifo).

I see a value for SD API to return the audio but seems like it just
cannot work with every possible TTS engine out there. And some people
are forced to use closed source ones due to unavailability of free
alternatives.

Regards