espeak and capitl letters?

From: William Hubbs
Subject: espeak and capitl letters?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:17:11 -0600

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:16:15PM +0100, Tomas Cerha wrote:
> Jonathan Duddington napsal(a):
> > On 08 Feb, Tomas Cerha <cerha at brailcom.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, I think you are right.  Speech dispatcher allows setting how
> >> punctuation is announced through SSIP.  The three supported modes are
> >> `none' (no indication), `spell' (what espeak does now) and `icon'
> >> (playing) a sound before capital letter).
> >
> > Note that the eSpeak synthesizer natively supports automatic raising
> > the pitch of words which begin with a capital letter.  This is set by
> > espeak_SetParameter().
>
> That would require the SSIP protocol to be extended by another mode.
> There would currently be no use for such a mode as long as the screen
> readers prefer to control that by manually changing the pitch.  This
> doesn't mean I am against it.  I'd actually prefer having that solved by
> the synthesizers, rather than screen readers.

I guess it doesn't matter to me whether or not it is controlled by the
synthesizer or screen reader, but, things like this should always be
configurable by the user, whether or not the screen reader commands the
synthesizer or the synthesizer does things like this itself, there
should always be a way for the user to turn this type of behaviour on or
off.

Personally, I'm not sure I like the idea of the pitches of words
changing when I am reading a long stream of text, but, if I am reviewing
character by character, I prefer that the pitch goes up when the
character is upper case.

William