2nd: Comments on the Text to Speech "algorithm"

From: William Hubbs
Subject: 2nd: Comments on the Text to Speech "algorithm"
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:44:18 -0600

Hi Marc,

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:19:59PM +0100, marc wrote:
> Well,
>
> Now I've looked into vinux, and I must say: quite fast voice, nearly
> unreadable to me.

I use my speech synthesizers at around 100 wpm, and some would say that
is slow.  I am not convinced that an idea like what you are talking
about would be able to perform at high speed.  Not to mention, you would
have to record every possible word in each language you want to support,
and if you are supporting tonal languages (languages that assign
different meanings based on the inflections of the words as well), you
have to take all of the possible inflections into account as well.  So,
you are talking about a very large database of recordings.

I just don't see how an idea like this would come close to being
practical.

William