it's done speechd works in system-wide-mode in arch including gdm orca a

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: it's done speechd works in system-wide-mode in arch including gdm orca and console
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 01:51:51 -0700

OK! I got it all working on my Arch Linux system too now.  I didn't
realize the orca script was the actual startup program; I thought it
was a binary or something.  I need to look more often at /usr/bin
files in the future, I might learn a lot more. <smile>

Anyway, I have a PKGBUILD script which pulls speech dispatcher from
git and does all the magic to get speech dispatcher running in system
mode plus dynamically create the user and group if not existing
already.  The script also modifies the
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf slightly to facilitate central pid
and log creation under ownership of the user and group.  If anyone is
interested in playng with it over the next couple days, let me know
off list and I can d-mail it to you.  I don't want to put it into AUR
yet because I have some technical details I should work out with Arch
policy like user and group numeric IDs and the like.  I also have
concern as to where and how and when the environment variable should
be merged into the orca run script.  Right now on my machine, I just
source in /etc/profile.d/speechd.sh to populate the variable and it's
working now.

So, hacks notwithstanding, I have speech dispatcher working solidly as
a system service for all users who are connected to the a11y group.  I
need to write up some little bits of documentation while fresh in my
mind to get it all going.  IE, adding users to a11y group and making
sure speechd is added to the audio group.  Sure glad to have finally
figured this out.  Thanks Halim for your help in getting me through
this as well.